Darrow Fletcher recorded his first record while still a student at Hirsch High School (77th and Ingleside); he later attended South Shore. Blessed with razor-keen phrasing and unique tone, his records stood out from the pack. Darrow toured the Chitlin’ Circuit, and appeared on Soul Train when it was in Chicago. After recording on several local labels he never saw a hit like his first; yet, like an addict, he kept reaching for the high. The above 1970 record, “When Love Calls”, (inexplicably) did almost nothing on the charts. Some say he was a victim of record labels too small to promote his records outside of Chicago. Others say it wasn’t in the cards. Either way, we are left with a display of barely-discovered talent rarely seen.
Tag Archives: Darrow Fletcher
1 Comment | tags: Chitlin Circuit, Darrow Fletcher, Local Chicago Soul, Music, soul, Soul Train, South Shore, South Shore High School | posted in Arts & Culture, Chicago Cultural History, Local Chicago Music, Music
Looking for Something?
- 1968 Africa afro-punk art Arts & Culture Ayana Contreras Black Business Black Literature Blues books Bridgeport bronzeville Cadet Records Charles Stepney Chess Records Chicago Chicago Arts Chicago Blues Chicago Cultural History chicago events Chicago History Chicago Jazz Chicago Music Chicago Soul Class community building Cult Movie of the Week cult movies curtis mayfield Curtom dance david boykin DJ Ayana Donny Hathaway Dorchester Projects Ebony Education Englewood Events fashion film hip hop hyde park inner city John H. White Leroy Hutson Local Chicago Music Local Chicago Soul Lumpen Media Michael Jackson Morseland Museum of Contemporary Art Music new york photography Pilsen poetry Printed Matters Race radio reclaimed soul Sonotheque soul Soul Train South Side Chicago style Theaster Gates The Dells Tom Tom Washington urbanism vocalo vocalo.org woodlawn Yaw
- Arts & Culture (220)
- Chicago Cultural History (123)
- Commentary (46)
- Cult Movie of the Week (21)
- Events (123)
- Lack Versus Fat (5)
- Local Chicago Music (132)
- Music (181)
- Printed Matters (37)
- Reviews (21)
- Staged Affairs (46)
- style (13)
- the Freshness (74)
- the Goodness (71)
- Uncategorized (21)
- One Day I Was Walking: Soulful Gospel from the Swan Mellarks
- Michael Abramson: Pulse of the Night.
- Maggie Brown on Oscar Brown, Jr. and The Opportunity Please Knock Chorus
- Minor Moods: ahmad jamal have i loved.
- Tapes Lost to Time: Chicago Stories
- The Makings of Groove
- This is Our (Chicago) Love Story.
- Monkey Hustlin' in Chicago
- Tom Tom 84 goes Hollywood.
- Linda Clifford and Richard Steele on Reclaimed Soul Live 2018
word on the street
izzy on Wilbur Holmes: images of the W… Monisa Cole on La Cade: The little hair care… Christian on Captain Sky on Soul Train M Carolyn Singleton on Chicago: in all its fried, dye…