Performing below (in Ghana, circa 1971) is Roberta Flack. She is singing “Gone Away”… a cool, loping soul record from her album “Chapter Two”. This record was written by the one-two-three Chicago-bred punch of Leroy Hutson, Curtis Mayfield, and Donny Hathaway (before his own breakout single “The Ghetto”). “Gone Away” was also recorded by The Impressions and Lovelace Watkins (in a Chicago recording session) around the same time, 1970. Look for the crescendo around 3:00 (sampled for T.I.’s hit “Whatchu Know About It”). Jive on!
Tag Archives: Gone Away
Leave a comment | tags: Chicago Soul, curtis mayfield, Donny Hathaway, Gone Away, Impressions, Leroy Hutson, Local Chicago Soul, Lovelace Watkins, Roberta Flack | posted in Local Chicago Music, Music, the Goodness
Looking for Something?
- 1968 Africa afro-punk art Arts & Culture Ayana Contreras Black Business Black Literature Blues books Bridgeport bronzeville Cadet Records Charles Stepney Chess Records Chicago Chicago Arts Chicago Blues Chicago Cultural History chicago events Chicago History Chicago Jazz Chicago Music Chicago Soul Class community building Cult Movie of the Week cult movies curtis mayfield Curtom dance david boykin DJ Ayana Donny Hathaway Dorchester Projects Ebony Education Englewood Events fashion film hip hop hyde park inner city John H. White Leroy Hutson Local Chicago Music Local Chicago Soul Lumpen Media Michael Jackson Morseland Museum of Contemporary Art Music new york photography Pilsen poetry Printed Matters Race radio reclaimed soul Sonotheque soul Soul Train South Side Chicago style Theaster Gates The Dells Tom Tom Washington urbanism vocalo vocalo.org woodlawn Yaw
- Arts & Culture (220)
- Chicago Cultural History (123)
- Commentary (46)
- Cult Movie of the Week (21)
- Events (123)
- Lack Versus Fat (5)
- Local Chicago Music (132)
- Music (181)
- Printed Matters (37)
- Reviews (21)
- Staged Affairs (46)
- style (13)
- the Freshness (74)
- the Goodness (71)
- Uncategorized (21)
- Hi-Fi White: Foodstamps, Bulldogs, and Hollywood
- Maggie Brown on Oscar Brown, Jr. and The Opportunity Please Knock Chorus
- Tom Tom 84 goes Hollywood.
- Cult Movie of the Week: Sparkle
- Minor Moods: ahmad jamal have i loved.
- The House That Jive Built.
- Nolan Chance and the Beach: i'll never forget you.
- Gouster or Ivy Leaguer?
- Lack versus Fat. (my philosophy)
- On the Radio.
word on the street
Francis Thaddeus Ray on Sweet Flypaper of Life: 1950s… izzy on Wilbur Holmes: images of the W… Monisa Cole on La Cade: The little hair care… Christian on Captain Sky on Soul Train