Hot off the presses.. Captain EO will be reopen at the Epcot Center (at Walt Disney World) this July. The ride/film short directed by Francis Ford Coppola and featuring Michael Jackson was originally opened in 1986 and closed in 1994 amidst allegations of abuse. The film was definitely a highlight of my family’s trip to Orlando back in the day. I am sad that Michael had to leave us for this gem of 80s cinematic opulence to return to the world! Jive on.
Tag Archives: michael jackson tribute
Leave a comment | tags: Captain EO, Francis Ford Coppola, Michael Jackson, michael jackson tribute, the 80s, Walt Disney World | posted in Arts & Culture, Commentary, Events, Film and Television, Music, the Goodness, Visual Arts
Recorded at the House of Blues here in Chicago a few days back. It’s Mos Def, and his homage to the gloved one: a fresh interpretation of “Billie Jean”. Somehow, it works. Invention isn’t dead, after all. Jive on!
1 Comment | tags: hip hop, Michael Jackson, michael jackson tribute, Mos Def, Mos Def does Michael Jackson, Music | posted in Arts & Culture, Events, Jive Culture, Live Music, Music, Musical Performance, Staged Affairs, the Freshness
Looking for Something?
- 1968 Africa afro-punk art Arts & Culture Ayana Contreras Black Business Black Literature Blues books Bridgeport bronzeville Cadet Records Charles Stepney Chess Records Chicago Chicago Arts Chicago Blues Chicago Cultural History chicago events Chicago History Chicago Jazz Chicago Music Chicago Soul Class community building Cult Movie of the Week cult movies curtis mayfield Curtom dance david boykin DJ Ayana Donny Hathaway Dorchester Projects Ebony Education Englewood Events fashion film hip hop hyde park inner city John H. White Leroy Hutson Local Chicago Music Local Chicago Soul Lumpen Media Michael Jackson Morseland Museum of Contemporary Art Music new york photography Pilsen poetry Printed Matters Race radio reclaimed soul Sonotheque soul Soul Train South Side Chicago style Theaster Gates The Dells Tom Tom Washington urbanism vocalo vocalo.org woodlawn Yaw
- Arts & Culture (220)
- Chicago Cultural History (123)
- Commentary (46)
- Cult Movie of the Week (21)
- Events (123)
- Lack Versus Fat (5)
- Local Chicago Music (132)
- Music (181)
- Printed Matters (37)
- Reviews (21)
- Staged Affairs (46)
- style (13)
- the Freshness (74)
- the Goodness (71)
- Uncategorized (21)
- All Power To The People: The Revolutionary Art Of Emory Douglas
- Minor Moods: ahmad jamal have i loved.
- Lucky Cordell: The Baron of Bounce... and Chicago Radio Royalty.
- Do you Remember how to do the Camel Walk?
- Operation Breadbasket, the seed of PUSH
- Gouster or Ivy Leaguer?
- John H. White: Five Minutes of Light
- Howlin' Wolf: getting in the mood with a psychedelic "Spoonful"
- Tom Tom 84 goes Hollywood.
- Sweet Flypaper of Life: 1950s Harlem in Black & White
word on the street
Francis Thaddeus Ray on Sweet Flypaper of Life: 1950s… izzy on Wilbur Holmes: images of the W… Monisa Cole on La Cade: The little hair care… Christian on Captain Sky on Soul Train